Current Cost Support Forum

A support forum for Current Cost users, partners and developers. Covering hardware, software and web.
Site Announcements

The support forum is moderated Monday to Friday, UK time. To submit a support ticket, please email: helpme [at] currentcost .com

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:55 am 

I had a similar issue where our meter box containing transmitter (three CT's), and another transmitter (one CT) on the PV system, were both some distance away from the receiver/display in the house. I could get one tranmitter but not both, so I thought I would try an external antenna.
The fasteners on the display unit took a bit of working out, but I got there in the end. My display unit previously suffered some damaged, so one side of the display to base pivot pin was broken and the thing used to flop on the base, another reason to have a peak inside! :?
Pics attached show the dismantled unit and the white pivot pins (one intact, one broken) can be seen.
I removed the existing red antenna wire and attached a length of small coax cable (3mmOD), with the intention of fitting a connector to the free end. A small hole drilled in the back cover of the EnviR display, got the cable out of the EnviR.
This would allow me to mount a small professional antenna on the outside wall, with its cable installed through the wall to the connector on the EnviR coax.
The screen of the coax was connected internally to the battery negative which had an unused pcb hole (Vss), nearby to the antenna connection point. You need a good soldering iron, good eyesight and a steady hand - I struggled but eventually succeded. :D
To trial it, I stripped back the screen to 173mm of the free end of the coax, to act as a temporary antenna.
Bingo, :o it worked with the coax hanging on the cupboard door, and I had no need to drill through the outside wall. :D

Attachments:
Antenna wire in red.jpg
Antenna wire in red.jpg [ 24.31 KiB | Viewed 7067 times ]
Coax exit point, temp antenna.jpg
Coax exit point, temp antenna.jpg [ 18.42 KiB | Viewed 7067 times ]
Coax connected.jpg
Coax connected.jpg [ 29.12 KiB | Viewed 7067 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:28 am 

Well it's been a while since i've been back here and it's nice to see that everything has worked out OK for the OP... and it's nice to see that Prolecs has tried the external/extended aerial suggestion and posted some good pics for others who may be handy enough to try it.

It never actually occured to me to extend the antenna on the receiver, my original thoughts were to extend the transmitter side of things. Extending the receiver has some advantages in that, if any impedance mismatch occurs is not so detrimental to a receiveras it would be to a transmitter.

Stripping away the coax outer like that and leaving the center core as the antenna was what i had in my mind to form a simple quaterwave monopole.

Anyway, success to all.

Could this be the very first hardware mod in existence i wonder?

Good work all the same :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2