Current Cost Support Forum

A support forum for Current Cost users, partners and developers. Covering hardware, software and web.
Site Announcements

The support forum is moderated Monday to Friday, UK time. To submit a support ticket, please email: helpme [at] currentcost .com

It is currently Fri May 29, 2020 5:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:17 pm 

Has anyone created an interface to enable water monitoring (along the lines of Crouchley and SeekerofThruths) ?

My house water meter already has the utility providers metering connected, but Im thinking of getting a pulse splitter, similar to http://www.enica.co.uk/pulsesplitter.html

Currentcost: I think the energy monitors have the LCD symbols for gas and water already defined - is there any way for either a user to activate them (say by using one of the other channels) or for you to provide firmware with them enabled?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:26 am 

Some new water meters have the ability to accept a reed switch which would be ideal for measuring the flow. I have looked at mine and it has a plastic covered hole in the right position. I'll be doing some experimentation on it eventually. Maybe use the analogue dev board.

Here's a linkto some more information on the subject.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:38 am 

Ive asked my water provider (in the UK: SevernTrent) for their views on the matter. I asked whether I needed their permission to splice, whether they had any approved devices, or whether they could supply a more modern meter that had dual outputs.

Im also investigating what signals are produced at the touchpad on the exterior of my property, which the utility provider uses to take a reading. If there are any water utility company workers or other knowledgeable members who have info on this, could you join in?
I'll provide updates when I get them.

Post subject: Re: Perfect!!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:28 pm 

norma8354 wrote:

Wow! Perfect! Let me know when you have a perfect interface. Wow.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:32 am 

It says you can use the new OptiSmart unit with a reed switch as an input.

http://currentcost.posterous.com/optism ... developers

Automan.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:23 am 

Automan wrote:
It says you can use the new OptiSmart unit with a reed switch as an input.

http://currentcost.posterous.com/optism ... developers

Automan.

I asked Chris for an update on this last week, but as yet, no response.

Here's my update on dealings with the water company (SevernTrent), and more useful progress, further down:

It was actually laughable - I informed them that I wanted to connect the meter to a monitoring system, if I needed permission, or if they could supply a solution to do it. After being passed around three departments, none of whom understood what I meant, I gave up after being informed "you need a plumber, mate".

Ive connected a multimeter to the output from the senor cable, which feeds into the touchpad. There is a continual circuit - which surprised me, as I was expecting it to be open, with a close when the reed switch (if that's the mechanism) operates. I also looked for fluctuations in current and voltage.

I was unable to detect if the circuit opened, or other measures chaged, with the tap running. This may be because the sensor is on one of the 'higher' digits (cubic metres), rather than pulsing every litre or so. Or the fluctuation may be quick that I couldnt register it!
Ive ordered a couple of pulse meters - one that has a built in data logger, and the other that is supposed to be relevant to water metering, displaying a digital count. When they arrive, i'll leave them connected for several days to see if anything is captured.

Ive also ordered a couple of devices from www.eq-3.de which are pseudo-optical readers (not OCR) and "By precisely positioning the eye above one of the gas meter counter’s number discs, it is able to detect the numbers changing and can thus determine gas consumption over time". These should work for both water and gas, and are quite cheap.

Finally, taking SevernTrent's advice, I may get a plumber. You can buy pulsed water meters, that need inserting in the main feed, for a few quid on fleabay.

More updates when things arrive.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:34 pm 

I received my OptiSmart today and think i've sussed out how to replace the factory sensor with a reed switch or RJ11 connector in the case of my Slumberger R5.

http://tickett.wordpress.com/2011/10/26 ... optismart/

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:56 am 

ltickett wrote:
I received my OptiSmart today and think i've sussed out how to replace the factory sensor with a reed switch or RJ11 connector in the case of my Slumberger R5.

Good luck!

Thanks Lee - nice hack - will give it a go when my second optismart arrives later today.

Im also playing with their Development boards which can do the same thing - a pulse on these generates a known 500W equivalent power, so is a fixed constant to convert to gas or water usage equivalents.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:39 pm 

ltickett wrote:

Good luck!

One cubic foot is one pulse by default is 1 watt on the chart.

To get that peak of over 1000 watts should have required an awful lot of cubic feet to be used in a short time.

Have you check the DATA meter reading count agrees with your gas meter display?

Automan.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]